GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

The heater blows from the vents even with system is turned

Customer Question

The heater blows from the vents even with system is turned off on a 1999 grand prix
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can get the a/c compressor by jumping the relay, but it still blows heat.
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I was a BMW line mechanic 20 years ago.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I reset the computer and a/c system by pulling the fuses for thirty seconds and checked the cooling fans and compressor by putting gauges on it to check the pressure and looked for broken vacuumed lines.
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: I just finished changing the rack and pinion, the power steering pump and the front struts and tie rod ends.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will asssist

the heater blowing sounds like the blower resistor is shorted to power. it is under the right side of the dash behind the blower motor

as far as the ac, what were the gauge readings???

Roy