Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics

Secondary air injection pump is throwing a code : P0410 :

Customer Question

Secondary air injection pump is throwing a code
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: P0410
JA: Huh?
Customer: That's the code I want to replace the the pump
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Locating the pump
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: No that's the only problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

May I have the year, model and engine size of your Pontiac?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2002 Pontiac bonneville 3800
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, great. Do you happen to have access to any testing equipment? Volt meter? Test lamp? Scan-tool that can interact with the AIR system?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I took it to an actual shop and had the computer read it and that's the only problem that came up
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just want replace the pump but I don't know where it's located
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. The concern here is, there are other items in the AIR System besides the AIR Pump that can be faulty and set the P0410 code. Those items should also be tested and checked before replacing the Pump. No sense in replacing the pump if the Relay or Solenoid is faulty. The P0410 is a "flow" problem, which means this can also be something as simply as a crack in the tube. If you're just looking to replace the AIR Pump, I can provide you with the replacement procedure in PDF format here:

If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.