Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Cranks but won't start. been sitting months with no battery

Customer Question

cranks but won't start. been sitting for 9 months with no battery was running good before.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the security light flashing on the dash near the gauges at all when you try and start it and release the key (without turning the key back any) when it will not start?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the security light comes on then goes off when I try and start it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to test for spark and fuel pressure at all?

Have you removed any spark plugs to see if they are wet with fuel and to see if it smells like old fuel at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I haven't but it smells like fuel when I press the gas petal
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,in some cases the engine can suddenly just flood out after sitting.Test for spark if you can with a spark tester on the end of at least 3 different spark plug wires one at a time to make sure you have good spark.If you do not then you may have a faulty crank sensor needing replaced as this is common.

If there is spark remove all spark plugs and clean and dry them and reinstall them and then crank over the engine and see if it starts then.

You can also try the clear flood mode.To do this leave everything in place on the engine and crank over the engine while holding your foot to the floor on the gas pedal.This will disable the fuel injectors and if the engine is only flooded out it may start.If it does start release your foot from the pedal immediately to keep the engine running.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete