sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6. Within the past few months

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6. Within the past few months I've noticed that the car will suddenly start shifting hard when changing gears and from P to D and R. If I stop, turn it off and wait for 10-15 mins it seems to stop if I accelerate very slowly
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked transmission fluid levels from under the car. Seems fine to me. Bought parts new intake/exhaust valve solenoids as that was what I saw to be the most common fix online but couldn't seem to locate them on the 3.5L V6 so I returned them
JA: Figuring out the cause of a leak can be frustrating and often tough to diagnose. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: There has always been a slight oil leak. It may be coming from the transmission but the level seems to be fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** most likely means the valve body is dirty which is about a $700 job to remove, clean, and reinstall. A transmission flush could be tried first but if that doesn't help valve body will need to be removed. Here is a TSB released by GM for the issue. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Dan,
It seems to me more of a sensor/pressure issue. Also I'm pretty sure the 2005-2006 G6 transmission model is a 4T45, not the 4T65E. One moment(usually after a 30 minute ride) it starts to act up. I would think if the valve body is dirty it would have a hard time raising the rpms and the transmission would slip. I think it's going into some sort of fail-safe mode and increasing pressure during shifts. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please. The car is now at a transmission shop. They are currently inspecting the trans

Are any fault codes setting?