rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

The light is on with a car like shape with a wrench tool

Customer Question

The light is on with a car like shape with a wrench tool inside of it what does that mean?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: How do I find out the codd
JA: The more information we have the better, but not to worry - the Pontiac Mechanic will know how to find that out. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. The more information we have the better, but not to worry - the Pontiac Mechanic will know how to find that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I had to replace the top heater hose and I'm thinking it might need more coolant idk that's why I'm asking
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet idk what that light means that came on and its making my car idle roughly
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

That means that a mechanic is needed to run tests on your car, first with a scan tool to identify any possible codes that are set in any of the computes and read all the data needed.

Thanks, Ron