GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My sister has a Pontiac grand am and it keeps going dead on

Customer Question

My sister has a Pontiac grand am and it keeps going dead on the highway. She can then crank it right back up and a little further down the road the same thing happens. Took it to gm dealer to hook it to machine and it showed nothing.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes my dad is a mechanic but he has checked everything he knows it could be.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not really sure but I can call and ask real quick
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: Its a 03 grand am. They have replaced ignition switch and hub assembly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** it always restart right away? Is the check engine light on? Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it will crank right back up and the check engine light battery light and security light comes on
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Do you know what diagnostic codes are being set?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When taken to dealership no codes come up
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Can you have codes checked again at parts store? They will do this for free. I'd just like to be 100% sure other scan tools are not picking up codes before trying to troubleshoot off symptoms.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When she cranks it back up the lights go off no check engine or anything
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Ok, first thing I'd try to do is unplug the mass airflow sensor to see if that helps. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They have tried 3 diff. Places and the same thing happens
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Alright, unplug the mass airflow sensor and let me know if that helps. We will have to try a few different things based on symptoms.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The dealership mechanic said to replace computer but that may not fix it. She has it at work with her right now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sometimes it will go a day or two and not cut off then it'll be non-stop cutting off 2 or 3 times the next
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm trying to see what all I can get my dad to try when my sister gets off work so I can let you know what works and what doesn't. We have taken the car to him several times and it keeps doing the same thing so I'm basically trying to see what else we can try.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She's a single mom and I just don't want her wasting money on computer if that won't fix the problem.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

So far from the sounds of it it sounds like problem is mass airflow sensor, fuel pump, or ignition switch but some testing will need to be done to narrow it down.