Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. When I hit any bumps,

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. When I hit any bumps, ridges, edges , etc. I almost lose control of the vehicle. Very scary !!! My abs and traction control warnings are both lit up. Both saying the system is not working correctly. At times it feels like I am in a skid until I regain control. This seems to happen mostly at high speeds. What could this problem be caused by ?
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: First we need to understand if the loss of control is in the abs system or the traction control system.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: At low speeds the transmission "clunks" into gear from 1st into 2nd. We were told that is a normal issue for this make and model. I assume that is another issue however.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** can have diagnostic codes checked for free at your local parts store such as oriely auto parts. Have codes checked and let me know what they are. THanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ya.... I will do that. In the mean time, which system do you think would most likely cause such a momentary loss of control?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

I think you probably have a bad ball joint, control arm bushing, or tie rod end. One of the system shouldn't cause vehicle to lose control. Let me know if you have more questions or what codes are when you get a chance. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will. We live in a rural community, but I will see if our parts store can scan it in the morning. Thank you.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good, I'll talk to you tomorrow. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just out of curiosity , are you familiar with the. "Clunking " ... Rough shifting... From 1st to 2nd at very low speeds? We were told by a mechanic that Pontiac cars seem to have this problem. Your thoughts?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

These transmissions have problems with valves getting clogged in transmission causing the harsh shift. It is about a $900 job to repair because it is a 8 hour job labor. You are probably better off just dealing with it then spending the money to repair, it is pretty common. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Good to know. Thank you.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

No problem, I'll talk to you tomorrow. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi. We had a chance to scan the car. No codes seem to pertain to steering or control. Ball joints seem good. As do tie rods. However the rear left strut is shot. Could that cause such dangerous control issue?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Yes it could and would be the first place to start if there are obvious problems. This is about a $200 repair to have done at a shop. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There was mention of an ECM communication failure. What does that pertain to?
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

What were the actual code numbers?