Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

No air out of the ac vents. Only out of the defrost or floor

Customer Question

No air out of the ac vents. Only out of the defrost or floor vents. Turn ac on and sometimes blows hot. Turn it off and on again and then the ac will kick in. Sometimes it goes hot again and you have to turn it off and on again.
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if at all possible! I can't afford a huge repair bill right now!
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have been all over the web trying to find out what causes this problem with 1998 bonnevilles. Apparently it is very common but no one really knows how to fix it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: 1998 bonnevilles SE with automatic heating controls
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.From your description the most common fault is the HVAC Programmer and or vacuum leaks at the programmer. The heater and A/C programmer contains a micro-processor and is the brain of the electronic or dual zone system. The programmer receives electrical signals from the heater and A/C control, passenger climate control, right and left sun load sensors, ambient air temperature sensor, inside air temperature sensor, blower control module, powertrain control module, driver and passenger air mix valve actuators. A microprocessor in the programmer processes the signals and then sends commands to the system components which control A/C compressor clutch operation, air intake location, air discharge location, air discharge temperature and blower speed. I found an interesting A/C Service Tip that may be very helpful for this repair. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I posted an answer to the problem you're having. I hope the information I gave is helpful. Let me know when you have followed through with my recommendations. If you have any questions, please let me know.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.