Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

Losing voltage when the brake is depressed, headlights and

Customer Question

Losing voltage when the brake is depressed, headlights and turn sign is on. Previously I hit the horn which ended up getting stuck which eventually blew a fuse. The alternator was checked last year but not sure what the problem is. Also losing voltage when turning on the radio.
JA: Working headlights are essential for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if I can
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Check the fuses, as I've stated the alternator was checked last year and it was good.
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: There's a rattle that's loud only when driven around 5 mph.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1986 Pontiac Camaro 78 with 355
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.Lets start with taking a volt meter and at the battery with the engine running check and see if you have charging voltage at the battery , the normal charge rate with the engine running should be right at 14 volts. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I realized that there are 3 wires that appear to be the headlight wires they looked chewed up and I'm betting that's what's causing the voltage issues.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I sent some pictures, not sure if they were received?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery and regulator appear to be okay, if it's not those wires ( which I'm almost positive that's part of the problem) could it be the voltage regulator?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
If the regulator is failing the voltage will be low, what is the voltage at the batter with the engine running?