Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

Would a bad fuel tank filler neck cause a car not to start?

Customer Question

Would a bad fuel tank filler neck cause a car not to start? I smell gas when it do start and run. I can drive but if turn it off that's it after that car idles for bout 15 secs the shuts down like if I ran out of gas
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here, it's not a bad filler neck in my opinion. Especially if you can pull the gas cap off and it still does it, Is the check engine light on now when it's running? I would think fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator, or mass air flow sensor. let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
New maf sensor
Fuel pump is running I hear it when I turn the key
May have to check the pressure regulator
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Check that and let me know what you find there. thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay I changed my feeling that cuz it needs to be changed it was rusted out I change my fuel filter just to be doing it and then I change the fuel pressure regulator I'm still getting the same problem
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Do you have fuel pressure at the rail now? Need a gauge to check it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let's just say I don't have pressure at the fuel rail what would the problem be
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

You would have to check power to the pump next, If you take the gas cap off, and get somebody to turn the key on, you should hear it buzz, now if you hear it buzz, then you know it's got power, but just because it buzzes doesn't mean it's got pressure, I've seen pumps run before and buzz and not have 2 psi of pressure verified with a gauge. So don't bank on it having pressure just because you hear the pump run. Let me post the wiring diagram, Check the GREY wire going to the fuel pump for power when cranking, should have battery voltage, I believe you do have power to it though but I would make sure it's 12 volts. if it is 12 volts and you have a good ground on the BLACK wire, (it goes straight to ground) then likely the pump itself is bad.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The pump was bad
But I'm still having the same problem
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Sorry about that. Let me opt out. Somebody else may be able to assist. thanks!