Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

This car was wrecked before I got it I am tryin to get air

Customer Question

this car was wrecked before I got it I am tryin to get air bag system up and running the code I got in the sdm is b0081 3a and I can not get the pps to flash codes I am using a snap on versus pro scanner
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 months ago.
Do you know if any components in the passenger presence system have been replaced (passenger seat or lower passenger seat cushion/sensor)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no I don't
Normally a B0081 code sets when the passenger presence sensor (part of lower seat cushion) fails. This is common and can be caused even by getting the seat wet while cleaning upholstery. Replacing the sensor is the fix. On my used car lot, I usually just get a replacement seat from a salvage yard. It is a lot cheaper than getting the sensor from GM.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with a bad sensor will that stop the pps module from flashing any codes threw the pps on/off indicator lights also I am using a snap on versus pro scanner and when I enter the pps and click on dtc it says I have an incorrect right side impact sensor so for the sport of it I swapped left impact sensor to right side and cleared all codes and still have the b0081 3a in sdm and on the pps module wont flash codes light for pps just stays lit in the off position and still says incorrect right impact sensor in pps dtc
The PPS is passenger presence system. It consists only of the sensor in the front passenger seat. It has nothing to do with impact sensors. The B0081 3a code sets if the pps sensor is the incorrect part number or has an internal failure, this code will set. Either way, the fix is to replace the sensor (seat cushion).
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry so long to get back with u I bought a new seat cushion with new sensor and new pps module came as a kit from dealer not cheap I might add and have the same problem is there programing that needs to be done when these parts are put in new I still have the b0081 3a code in sdm and when u enter into the pps dtc it still says fault with side impact sensor