sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Had to unplug harness. And no it won't start after reinstalling

Customer Question

Had to unplug harness. And no it won't start after reinstalling the new one.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Information center is telling me that everything need to be serviced.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yed Yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
JA: What else should I tell the Pontiac Mechanic?
Customer: That's bout it was running fine replaced harness and now it won't turn over
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, Ok, there is quite a bit of information missing year, model and engine size of your Pontiac What wiring harness did you replace? Is the security light on and not going off after 10 seconds of key being on? Does the engine turn over but not start, or not even turn over?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2005 Montana sv6.
The harness to the airbags and headlights that goto the fuse box under the hood.
Engine does not turn over, and where is the security light?
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, the security light is on the dash and looks like a padlock
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It goes off
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI,Ok, I dont seem to have the right diagrams for the airbags and headlamps to see what might have caused this, so I will opt out to see if another expert does
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 6 months ago.
can you send me a picture of the connector at the fuse block? also try and do a global reset to clear codes in case this harness was off with the key on. remove the negative battery cable and touch it to the positive for a moment then reconnect and retest, but if you can get me a picture or describe the color and number of pins in the connector i can pull up a picture and see what we are up against,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok give me a sec. I also crossed the starter and it spins but will not ingauge
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I did what you said with the cables and still nothing different.
is the problem that your starter doesn't engage?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The when I turn the key everything comes on as it should but when turned to crank the car all lights go off and nothing. Like the battery is dead but it is not have it on charge it's good.
okay can you shoot me a picture of the harness connector at the fuse block you replaced.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm trying
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Replaced the white large connector from fues block under the hood. The one closest to the batt.
looking at the connector view I don't really see anything from that connector that should prevent it from starting, So i would first remove the fuse block again and check all of your connections, grab a test light and check all of the fuses in the fuse block itself, also see if it will try to start with the connector to the headlight harness not plugged in.
pin numbers as follows Fuse Block – Underhood C3PinWire ColorCircuit No.Function1–12——Not Used13D-GN29Horn Control14–19——Not Used20L-GN/BK311Right Headlamp High Beam Supply Voltage21——Not Used22BN9Park Lamp Supply VoltageBN9Park Lamp Supply Voltage23–30——Not Used31D-GN/WH711Left Headlamp High Beam Supply Voltage32——Not Used33BN9Park Lamp Supply VoltageBN9Park Lamp Supply Voltage34–35——Not Used36YE712Left Headlamp Low Beam Supply Voltage37TN/WH312Right Headlamp Low Beam Supply Voltage38–39——Not Used40L-BU/WH1314Left Front Turn Signal Lamp Supply Voltage41D-BU/WH1315Right Front Turn Signal Lamp Supply Voltage42PK/BK109Hood Ajar Switch Signal (AP3)43——Not Used44WH504Left Cooling Fan Motor Supply Voltage45L-BU409Right Cooling Fan Motor Supply Voltage46GY532Left Cooling Fan Motor Low Control47BK1250Ground
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had to unplug all three to replace that one though.
That is what i mean, remove the fuse block again to inspect the other connectors and the pins on the underside of the fuse block , sometimes one can get bent or if a female one got spread too far it will have gotten hot and there will be evidence of burnt spots.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok doing that now, no burnt spots and none bent everything looks good. Still don't crank with white one dis connected. Trying the next one which is the grey one.
have you swapped the IGN main relay with another? and all of your fuses were ok?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have and yes fuses r good
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My information center in the car is telling me that abs, trac control, and some other things need to be serviced. Would that cause a no start signal and if so how do u reset it?
but it will say service if any kind of fault is present weather modules are not communicating of voltage issues or ground issues or any number of codes. without access to a scan tool to approach them and develop a strategy based upon what inputs are missing and what DTCs are present our best bet is too look where the work was performed and try to isolate a concern there. Unless you have a scanner or know someone who does.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Scaned it, it's all clear no dtc's detected.
what kind of scanner did you use? the problem is likely communication if it sees no faults, but if you can only talk to the PCM there may not be codes. here is one related bulletin I could find that would throw an ABS and no crank though.PIC4645: GMT201 Intermittent No Crank No Start VSS Harness Short To Ground - keywords communication crank ground hot intermittent loss LX9 nocrank nostart - (Oct 16, 2007)Subject:GMT201 Intermittent No Crank, No Start, VSS Harness Short to Ground Models:2005-2006 Buick Terraza w/LX92005-2006 Chevrolet Uplander w/LX92005-2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 w/LX92005-2006 Saturn Relay w/LX9The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.Condition/Concern:A technician may report an intermittent no-crank concern. They may report no communication with the PCM, and/or that the 5 volt PCM output supply is only 3 volts, and/or vehicle speed DTC P0608 set, and/or communication DTC codes set by other vehicle modules.Recommendation/Instructions:This concern could be caused by an intermittent short to chassis ground of the Powertrain Control Module VSS output @ J1-22. Please inspect the 389 circuit for short to a chassis ground.One vehicle example was the harness on circuit 389 which is the VSS output speed signal from PCM to rear parking assist module, radio, and throttle body was intermittently shorted to chassis ground when the vehicle interior was at a high ambient temperature. This concern was more prevalent with high ambient temperatures. Technicians may not correlate the changing temperature to the concern. The technician can run the vehicle with the heat on high for an extended period to duplicate high ambient temperatures.Please inspect circuit 389 for short to ground.Repair any damaged insulation/wiring if found, then secure/route harness to prevent further chaffing.Note: One area to inspect is at the rear of the right hand sliding door floor pan area. (This is the circuit to URPA)Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Innova 3130lat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
191;??????????
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Do you still need help?