Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 15+ years gm experiance and am very knowledgeable with systems and operations and diagnosis and have access to factory wiring diagrams and tsb's
27644750

WHEN I START THE CAR IN THE AM IT RATTLES AND SOUNDS LIKE

Customer Question

WHEN I START THE CAR IN THE AM IT RATTLES AND SOUNDS LIKE A WASHING MACHINE. AFTER THE CA R HAS WARNED UP [5 min.} it is quiet. later the day when i start the car it isquiet. EXHAUST SYSTEM IS GOOD,DOES NOT USE OIL, HAD RECENT TUNE UP, AND HAS 70,000MILES THIS IS A 2002 GRAN PRIX
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, does the rattle come from the engine or from under the car ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
NOISE SEEMS TO COME FROM UNDER THE CAR, I HAVE CHECKED MUFFLER AND TAIL PIPES AND THE SEEM OK..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no more
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
ok so the first thing that comes to mind is a failed catalytic converter that rattles internally , get a rubber mallet and when the exhaust is cold in the am hit the cat convertors and see if they rattle.