Nate, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  ASE master certified GM master certified

I just bought a 2008 solstice had week yesterday i turned

Customer Question

i just bought a 2008 solstice had for a week yesterday i turned on the ac and since then the cooling fan for the engine will not turn on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i drive 70 miles each way to work, it was cool this morning the temp on the car was 214 when i got to work i know thats to hot and the fan was not on. i checked the fuses they were good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked all fuses and disconnected the pos side of battery
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: no every thing else is good
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 5 months ago.
Hi , is this the turbo model?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Nate replied 5 months ago.
Does the fan run with the ac turned on?
Expert:  Nate replied 5 months ago.
I found this description of the cooling system on my repair software. It looks like the fans will not kick on until the coolant temperature reaches 223 degrees The PCM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:Engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F).A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 310 kPa (190 psi).After the vehicle is shut off, the ECT at key-off is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.The PCM commands High Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:ECT reaches 110°C (230°F).A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 655 kPa (240 psi).When certain DTCs set
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the fan has always run after I park the car, yesterday I turned on the ac, and since then the fan has not turned on. the temp on the car was 214 when I parked it this morning. at lunch I got the temp up to 196 and no fan
Expert:  Nate replied 5 months ago.
I would be more concerned with why the fans would stay on after the car is off. The cooling fan is not designed to come on if the coolant temperature is under 223°
Expert:  Nate replied 5 months ago.
To check the cooling fan operation you would either need to get the engine temperature over 223° or have a scan tool which could command the cooling fans on