Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.

89 600LE 2.5L: replaced all ignition parts. Still have intermittent

Customer Question

89 600LE 2.5L: replaced all ignition parts. Still have intermittent in ignition. Looking for both ignition module connectors and their mates to make a fuzed breakout cable to see which wire is intermittent.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Wont start(only hear the starter) when cold. May stop when running. May start after the starter has run a bit extra.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: 86k miles and little was ever replaced. Would not start when cold...which has changed to unknown when it will start. Replaced all ignition parts plugs, wires, direct ignition module, coil packs. 1 yr ago, when the transmission was rebuilt, a contact needed bent to make it work. It turns out that contact was in a 2wire(but 3 position connector that one side is connected to a heavy wire forked into two wires, that go to this connector. The one wire was not making contact inside the connector and I could not find a new cotact, so I jumped around the connector for the one wire. When splicing the wire I noticed the wire seemed to have the same guage as on the other side of the connector, but must have bee a fusable link, which I ended up shortening. But I now have a good connection there, verified by jambing a small safety pin into the wire and raeding the 12V.
JA: Sometimes changing spark plugs can be a challenge -- more than a few things to consider. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: Previously it was a no start when cold problem, but it is now a 'not sure if it will start, or quit some time after starting. I dont expect to see any 25 degree days for 9 months or so to se if it starts in the cold, but my guess is that it is the same problem.. an intermittant that comes and goes. I wanted to get some connectors so I could see which wire it is.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If you are looking for new connectors for the wiring on this older model here usually these will need to be obtained from a local salvage yard off of another vehicle and wired into your model or using a place like this is not what you are looking for here or is not an option for you let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete