Nate, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  ASE master certified GM master certified
34975145

Pontiac Firebird Firehawk: Here is the problem, the car has

Customer Question

Here is the problem, the car has dual exhaust and two O2 sensors. One of the O2 sensors kicks in and out. It looks like the voltage to the sensor fluctuates and it causes the engine to misfire. It will do it while idling or driving down the road. It NEVER will do it when you are under hard acceleration. If it is misfiring and you floor it the engine misfire clears up. What sends the voltage to the O2 sensors and why would it only do it on the passenger side ??
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Nate replied 7 months ago.
An oxygen sensor by nature creates its own voltage. The 12 V supply to the oxygen sensor is actually the heater for the sensor. The heater usually has no effect on how the vehicle runs . Usually if a sensor drops high or low it is a faulty sensor. Have you tried replacing the sensor yet?
Expert:  Nate replied 7 months ago.
Did you replace the sensor? Did it fix your problem?
Expert:  Nate replied 6 months ago.
If you would like more help with this issue please let me know! I am here to help!