Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I went to start my 1999 Pontiac Grand AM one morning and

Customer Question

I went to start my 1999 Pontiac Grand AM one morning and heard a bang and water started to come out of the tail-pipe. Is the engine gone?
JA: The mechanics can certainly get you off to the right "start" -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I got a miss fire code in the number 1 cylinder, so I changed the oil and spark plugs; than I got a miss fire code in the #3 cylinder. Next it started to over-heat and the water boiled out of the reservoir. I fill the reservoir a parked the car over night. Next morning when I started the car, I heard a bang and as the engine idled, lot of water started to come out of the tail pipes. I check the oil and saw that the oil had gone from clear to cloudy. I haven`t driven the car since. What do you think is wrong?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. Will let a professional mechanic do the job.
JA: OK! The Pontiac Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: That`s it for now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. I believe you at the least have a blown headgasket, at the worst you have a cracked head or block. but yes, the cylinder head will at least have to come off for inspection since you've got water blowing out the exhaust. I believe the misfire code showed up likely because coolant was entering that cylinder. The overheating is more evidence of headgasket failure as the heat from the combustion blows directly into the water jackets. The short block itself is probably alright, but the cylinder head may need to be machined for straightness or replacement if it's cracked. It will have to be checked by a machine shop to see whether or not it's good. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.