tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop...25yrs
14541291

Pontiac G6: I drive a 07 Pontiac g6 and I was trying to replace

Customer Question

I drive a 07 Pontiac g6 and I was trying to replace the shift knob and I pulled it off to notice that the stock shifter rod does not have a screw on top. Can you tell me how to replace the shifter. Thanks in advance
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 10 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ky36312lm87hjz/0502-g6-Transmission%20Control%20Lever%20Knob%20Replacement.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/4ky36312lm87hjz/0502-g6-Transmission%20Control%20Lever%20Knob%20Replacement.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a manual
ok..one moment sorry
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/qej5lwkveypji90/0502-pontiac-Shift%20Control%20Assembly%20Replacement.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/qej5lwkveypji90/0502-pontiac-Shift%20Control%20Assembly%20Replacement.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So I have to replace the whole assembly?
yes,,to replace the shifter
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The end of the shifter stick is still iregular shaped. Do they make shift know that fits that.
?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just need to replace the knob but the only ones that I have found have thread on.
oh..i see
is your knob broken?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes
does it not have the set screw as the automatic shifter?
does the shift knob you have still look good?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
does the shift knob you have still look good?just wont stay on?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is in two pieces half of it is not even on right now it was like that when I bought it
one moment
http://www.andysautosport.com/shift_knobs/pontiac_g6.html
you can also buy from www.ebay.comhttp://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2006+pontiac+g6+shift+knob.TRS0&_nkw=2006+pontiac+g6+shift+knob&_sacat=0
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do they really fit every car.
yes,,some are universal and have a set scew to hold it onthanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What if I want to install a short shifter. Can I ? How?
you can install a short shifter if you get one that fits..
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/066edce5deq21gr/0503-g6-Shift%20Control%20Assembly%20Replacement.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/066edce5deq21gr/0503-g6-Shift%20Control%20Assembly%20Replacement.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help