sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

We have power to the plugs but it will not fire JA: Spark

Customer Question

we have power to the plugs but it will not fire
JA: Spark plug problems can be challenging. So many causes, some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all of them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It will crank, but will not start.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Its in my driveway, so were trying.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: It started one day a couple of weeks ago, but has not started since. I pulled a plug wire loose to check for spark, and we have that, but will not start.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If you do have spark then you are most likely missing fuel, but the problem could potentially be something like fuel contamination or an exhaust restriction. Cam timing can cause a no start condition but usually there would be no spark.What year and model is the vehicle and what engine do you have?Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?