GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 2000 Montana stalls and won't restart after 5 minutes of

Customer Question

my 2000 Montana stalls and won't restart after 5 minutes of running. It will finally restart after about 20 minutes or more. has new plugs, wires, good gas, air filter. changed the body harness c305 connector underneath the car.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery?
Customer: battery is less than one year old and strong
JA: Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: no. anytime under acceloration or at idle
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. I have a shop and many mechanic friends. Not around now.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: air filter. lucas fuel additive. replaced the connector from the fuel pump to the engine c305 8 pin. catalitic converter fine, no vacuum hoses missing.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your car?
Customer: only drive it 3000 miles /year. county highways. some dirt roads. plugs and plug wires two months ago. 260,000 miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 7 months ago.
Hello thanks for using JustAnswer!I am sorry to hear about your concern, electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose. I specialize in diagnostics, i will be asking you a series of questions to give you the best possible help that i can. From the symptom you have described you could have one or two problems happening. Lets start with a easy test. Run the vehicle until the car stalls.After the car will not start i want you to unplug the mass air flow sensor and try to restart the vehicle.If the vehicle starts back up you have a defective mass air flow sensor. I mass air flow sensor is located after the air filter box.