GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2001 Aztek. The key is in the ignition but the key

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Aztek. The key is in the ignition but the key will not move to the off position. The steering wheel has been turned and the car placed into drive, reverse, park to see if the key would move but no luck. We had to take a fuse out to get the car to shut off. What is the problem?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I will try to help you with your concernI have seen this issue with a lot of Azteksthe problem is in the ignition lock/tumbler assembly.you will need to replace the ignition/tumbler assembly. it will need to be programmed so the car will recognize the new keys.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is the dealer the only one who can reprogram it or do other repair shops have the ability? And can I buy the ignition tumbler and keys through an after market source like Amazon?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I get the ignition lock out?
call local repair shops in your area. if they have the correct software they can program it for you.I suggest you let the shop perform the repair. That way they can remove it, install the new part and program.ask if they will be willing to use your part you buy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I get the ignition lock tumbler out or at least the center assembly that has the tumblers in it? How do I get the covers off from around the lock?
IGNITION SWITCH REPLACEMENT - ON VEHICLE (STEERING WHEEL AND COLUMN - TILT)Document ID# ***** Switch Replacement - On VehicleRemoval Procedure Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement - On Vehicle.Pull the theft deterrent control module (2) away from the lock cylinder housing (1) .Simultaneously depress the two white spring loaded ignition switch retainers.Slide the ignition switch downward away from the ignition lock cylinder case.Disconnect the ignition switch electrical connector from the ignition switch.Installation Procedure Connect the ignition switch electrical connector to the ignition switch.Slide the ignition switch into the ignition lock cylinder case.Push the theft deterrent module (2), onto the lock cylinder housing (1) .Install the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement - On Vehicle.Enable the SIR System. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.
STEERING COLUMN TRIM COVERS REPLACEMENT - ON VEHICLE (STEERING WHEEL AND COLUMN - TILT)Document ID# ***** Column Trim Covers Replacement - On VehicleRemoval Procedure Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.Remove the knee bolster trim panel. Refer to Knee Bolster ReplacementRemove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement.Remove the tilt lever close out plate.Remove the lower steering column trim cover screws (1) .Tilt the lower trim cover (2) down and slide the lower trim cover rearward in order to disengage the locking tabs.Remove the upper trim cover screws.Remove the ignition lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle.Remove the upper trim cover (2) from the steering column.Installation ProcedureNotice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices. Install the upper trim cover to the steering column.Install the lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle.Install the steering column upper trim cover screws.Tighten:Tighten the steering column upper trim cover screws to 1.5 [n-m] (13 lb in). Match the tab slots on the lower trim cover with the locking tabs on the upper trim cover.Tilt the lower trim cover up and slide the lower trim cover until the locking tabs snap into the tab slots.Install the steering column lower trim cover (2) screws (1).Tighten:Tighten the steering column lower trim cover screws to 3.5 [n-m] (31 lb in). Install the tilt lever close out plate.Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement.Install the knee bolster trim panel. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.