FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Pontiac Grand Am SE: 2003 pontiac Grand Am. Engine cold turns

Customer Question

2003 pontiac Grand Am. Engine cold turns over & starts. When warmed up cranks over but no start. Let cool down, cranks & starts. Runs good until stopped & shut off.
Any suggestions?
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition, there are times when it will start only after the second cranking of the engine.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** most common causes of this is either a bad crank sensor or a bad ignition module located under the ignition coils. Most of the time the issue is the crank sensor not reading right once the engine is warm. You can remove the ignition module first and have it tested at most auto parts stores. If it tests fine then I would replace the crank sensor first and then the module. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The crank sensor was replaced, also fuel pump & filter, coolant and coolant level sensor. The Ignition module tested out fine. After replacement of all above items, it will start when warm,but only on the second try. This will happen occasionally, then back to start when cold, drive til warm, stop and just turns over until cools down...Then starts on first try.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked to see if the engine is lacking fuel or spark when this occurs. I would double check the module. The best thing to do is to carefully see if the module gets hot when it is being tested. If it gets to hot to touch it is bad even if it says fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no need to converse on the phone at this junction...It's late & I have meetings early tomorrow. How do I resume this conversation at a later time, tomorrow or Saturday?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
You can simply log back in and respond and when I see it I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you and have a great rest of your night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome, talk to you soon. Jim
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jim.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Fixit,
Sorry for late return, had an issue this weekend...The module was replaced with a known good one. Some thought it had to do with the ignition key cylinder or anti theft system. Your feelings? Jim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sold ignition for years, & for some reason I thought it had to do with the coolant issue. Also, I had the head gasket replaced because of a coolant leak, could that have something to do with it. It ran fine after the replacement......
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It can be the ignition switch. These are common issues, but they will usually cause some other electrical problems but not always. I do not think it has anythign to do with the other work that was done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bobby,I'll get back to you tomorrow....Jim
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good Jim. Thank you