Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Tryin to install a after market radio and when it didnt work

Customer Question

Tryin to install a after market radio and when it didnt work i put back the stock radio that one stoped working along with heat& conditioning and the thing that tells me how many miles i have to go with gas
JA: No, I use streaming services like Pandora. Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just checking the fuses
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 9 months ago.
Year?Model of Vehicle??Brand & Model Number of New Radio??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
98
Pontiac grand prix
After market radio or stock?
Brand & Model Number of New Radio that you were installing??Did you "hardwire" (Cut off the Factory Plug & / Or splice into the Factory wires
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No i didnt ..just got a wiring harness connect that to the aftermarket radio can connect it to the car
Brand & Model of New Unit??You need to post everything you can as far as what was used Incliuding Brands & Model / Part Numbers, as I cannot see what you have.Most Grand Prix 's have a External AMP & you need to connect the BLUE or BLUE / WHITE wire of the New Radio to the BLUE or BLUE / WHITE of the Adapter Plug.Since I do NOT know what was used, this needs to be checked, as MOST Aftermarket Wiring Adapters will be "color for color" of the New Aftermarket Radio & I have NO idea what you installed.As far as the Factory Radio not working when reinstalling, you need to Test the 2 Voltage + wires & The AMP Turn On wire, unless the Factory Radio displays "LOC" or "LOCKED", then we have a different issueTrying to help, so please supply info when requestedthanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alpine cde-143bt
sorry.....did you try what I posted above?When you reinstalled Factory Radio, did it show LOC?Did you test Voltage + on the Alpine Radio YELLOW & RED wires while it was connected?Does the vehicle Start & Run?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I figured out it was a bad fuse but now when i take the keys out the radio wont stay on but it did b4
Radio would only stay on when Door is shut....correct?IF you are referring to the Alpine, then the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) Relay fuse is bad or not powering up when Key is turned off
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok so i got it to turn on the alpine stereo but on the volume works and nothing else
Ok so i got it to turn on the alpine stereo but on the volume works and nothing else??? Are you saying the Alpine comes ON, but NO sound?IF so, did you check Voltage + on the YELLOW wire of the Alpine?Did you connect the BLUE or BLUE / WHITE wire of the Alpine to the BLUE or BLUE / WHITE wire of the Adapter Plug?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Theres sound with the radio. ...but the button on the alpine wont work
Theres sound with the radio. ...but the button on the alpine wont work?? what "button" there are a number of buttons?Please explain