rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

When I flip the turn signal lever to the left it works, but

Customer Question

When I flip the turn signal lever to the left it works, but when I try to signal a right turn the lever stops half way and doesn't engage so the lights don't blink. its a 1994 Pontiac Bonneville.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can but it seems like it would be hard to get to.
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: No. It is old but has less than 42,000 miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. The turn signal switch/multi function switch is bad and needs to be replaced. The steering wheel needs to be removed as well as the air bag and clock spring. If you never done this before, special tools and a scan tool are required to disable the air bag from exploding outward.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well, I don't have the specialized tools so I guess I'll have to take it somewhere.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
That would be best in this case.Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron