Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Here, 04 Grand Prix was overheating and losing

Customer Question

***** ***** here, 04 Grand Prix was overheating and losing coolant. Changed the intake plenum gasket, front valve cover gasket, water pump, coil packs, thermostat, and crank position sensor. Car will crank and chug but will not start and now for the life of me cannot figure out why? I'm right now trying to reset the passlock system. Not sure if that's it but it's worth a shot. Any advice welcomed, thanks.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really, been working on cars for years and this thing has so many sensors and electrics it's driving me nuts, what I've thought would be a half day and a couple hundred bucks has turned into a weeks project and almost $500-600. Car has 178k on it if that helps.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .Are any of the spark plugs getting wet? Do you know what the compression is at in the cylinder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I changed the plugs (all 6) each and every one was dry on the inside. I changed the valve cover gaskets because they were leaking onto the headers. I did that when I changed the plenum gasket and obviously had to take off the coil packs and ignition control module. Figured while I was in there I'd change the water pump hence the overheating issue and put it all back together and nothing but crank and no start. Read a lot of shit about the crank position sensor which I spilled a lot of coolant on so I changed that and put it all back together again with a fully charged battery and the same thing. Crank crank crank and no fire. I'm about to call the local scrap yard and have it junked...with a ton of new parts in it.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I see, thanks. Do you hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds when the key is first turned on?. .Do you know what the fuel pressure is?.Have you checked for spark at the plugs?.Does the engine have good compression? .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes fuel pump kicks in while I'm in the car when I turn the key so I'm almost positive it's getting fuel to the engine. As I said the Spark plugs are brand new, with brand new coils and a new CPS. As far as compression goes I know it was hard as f**king hell to get the crank bolt out and the crank pulley off so yeah it's got really good compression. Any other first timer questions? It's got to be electrical no?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
It does sound electrical but sometimes you never know with them. I guess that the crank and cam sensors are both plugged in and does it seem to start for a second, as with a passkey malfunction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the crank sensor and I haven't touched the cam sensor so I assume it's still plugged in and functional. That being said I know for certain the crank sensor is new and plugged in and everything worked after the plenum gasket change. It was only after I changed the water pump which required removal of the coils and ICM that it wouldn't start. Did I mess up something in the ICM wiring when I disconnected it and flipped it over out of the way?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I see, thanks. The one thing that has happened to the best of us when putting the front pulley back on is, if the blades don't fit between the runners on the crank sensor, it can come around and hit the sensor and break it. I did that at one time. Also, the ground wire that goes on the coil/module bracket. Can't hurt to check that, that will give you a no start/no spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I didn't hit the crank sensor putting the crank pulley back on and the ground wire to the ICM is tighter than a mosquitoes butthole so what do you have next? I've about had it with this pile of shit GM and will absolutely never buy another one
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That is all I can think of on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not much of an expert then are you? Or was this an automated piece of bullshit? Is it the ECU or PCU or the BCM? The answer is you don't know because you aren't real and I just wasted even more money on this pile of shit GM. f**k you and your expert status I guarantee I know more about these than you do. f**king idiot.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. If you can tone down your language I am more than willing to try and help you since the previous tech has opted out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ever had a vehicle you can't diagnose? I sort of apologize for the language. GM can go rot in hell for all I care, however, my wife and I do somewhat rely on this Grand Prix (thankfully her Ford works like a champ). I've changed a ton of parts on this car and I know the 3800 is a bulletproof engine but apparently I'm finding out everything attached to it is basically shit. Any help would be very much appreciated, I've about had it with this damn car.
Thanks,Can you pull a plug out and crank the engine and verify the plug is making spark?At wide open throttle and cranking, does a shot of ether into the throttle body get it to start briefly?Have you checked for injector pulse using a noid light?
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the follow up. I haven't checked anything in the car over the weekend due to having prior obligations however I did get a new ICM for it to see if that fixes the problem and should have that installed after work and if it doesn't fire up, I might have a passlock problem and I'll try that reset also. If not, it's probably destined for the junkyard.
Thanks for keeping in touch. Let me know if there is more I can do prior to the post closing on the 28th.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I'll let you know if it's fixed or scrapped whenever I get to it.
Thanks, ***** ***** you were not aware the post is due to time out and close on the 28th.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey there boss, got the new ICM in and it just clicked when I turned the key and the security light on top of the dash stays constantly lit and the yellow light next to the CD player looks like a strobe light. Now it won't do anything. Passlock problem? Any idea how to reset that or bypass it at least? Thanks
Below is a link to the pass lock programming steps.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/30minute.pdf