GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My name is ***** ***** I'm trying to find out what does engine

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I'm trying to find out what does engine codes P1811 and P0496 mean on a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The check engine light is one and it's giving codes P1811 and P0496
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .The transmission pressure is modified by an adaptive modifier which controls the shift execution time. This diagnostic tests the time required to accomplish the shift. If the shift takes longer than 0.65 seconds and the adaptive modifier cannot shorten this time, then a counter increases by one.If the PCM detects a counter value of 2 during one trip, then DTC P181 1 sets. P0496 - This DTC tests for undesired intake manifold vacuum flow to the evaporative emission (EVAP) system. The control module seals the EVAP system by commanding the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve OFF and the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve ON. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor to determine if a vacuum is being drawn on the EVAP system. If vacuum in the EVAP system is more than a predetermined value within a predetermined time, this DTC sets..If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions for both codes in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,