kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician Associates degree in Automotive 15+ Years in the industry
68360881

Pontiac Firebird: Why won't my 1999 Firebird start and stay

Customer Question

Why won't my 1999 Firebird start and stay running? We have checked the fuel pump, changed fuel filter, tested the ohms in the chip key. the is fuel to the injectors but no pulse. help please.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think it's the anti theft deterrent system, can we bypass it? how?
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, it may be the key cylinder that reads the key pellet is bad. Since you have already ohmed the key buy a resistor of that value. You then want to find the two white wires that go to the key cylinder inside the column. Cut the two white wires and solder in the resistor.

If the key cylinder was the problem with the antitheft thiswill fixit for a few bucks vs buying the new key cylinder.

If this does not fix it the body control module will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That didnt work. we purchased a bypass module but the wires at the pcm aren't the color that the instructions from the Haynes manual say they should be. Do you have a wiring diagram for the anti theft system for a 1999 Firebird. I haven't been able to locate one.

Yep, this is for the 5.7 let me know if it helps

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My car has the 3,8L v6 engine. not the 5.7. is the wiring diagram and schematics the same.? if mot then your help has been no help at all and I request all my money back.

here is the diagram for the 3.8. Let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
found out it was Mass air flow sensor needed replacing