Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2002 pontiac grand am v6 cranks but wont start, Got fuel but

Customer Question

2002 pontiac grand am v6 cranks but wont start, Got fuel but no spark
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Have any parts been replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coil pack, crank position sensor, cam position sensor
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Which crank sensor was replaced? The one behind the crank pulley or the one on the back side of the block?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Do you have injector pulse while cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't check that but for sure know it doesn't have spark. funny thing is once in a while it will start after doing absolutely nothing
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
When it is not starting, turn key on and check for voltage on the pink wire going to ignition control module (at coil pack). Let me know what you find there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked both the ground (blk) and the pink which read 12V
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No security light on
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Check the harness from the crank sensor on the back of the block up to the ignition control module. See if this harness is against the exhaust or damaged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It passed a continuity test
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Has the ignition control module been tested or replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you've covered all of the basics that I can advise you on. Perhaps another expert has dealt with this particular issue before, so I'll opt out and open the question up to other experts. Good luck with the repair.Dave
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Do you have access to a diagnostic tool to verify the computer is getting an accurate CKP signal?Have you verified there is power to the coil pack with the key on?
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I did check both power and ground to the coil. both ok. I'm not sure if the snap-on 2500 I have can get that data with just cranking alone, but I can try.
Let me know the CKP test result.