Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Chris, checking the PSI on the 2002 Firebird Trans Am

Customer Question

checking the PSI on the 2002 Firebird Trans Am with the 550+ hp engine. We still aren't getting a good reading. Kept reading 0 and now he finally got it to read 1 psi. It's not tuned well right now and we are having a hard time getting it to idle below 2000 rpm unless it's in gear. One thing we noticed though is that there is a little smoke coming out of the oil tube. We read some internet fodder, but want more specific info on what should be causing that. Thanks. *****************
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Are you referring to your fuel pressure? If you are not getting good fuel pressure check for leaks and if okay verify the fuel pump is working with no restrictions on the suction screen in the tank and if that is good you likely have a faulty fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, I had a long thread going with someone else. So you have to read it first to catch-up. Here you go:Pontiac Trans Am Firebird: Need someone with GM expertise (ASE
Customer Question
Customer (name blocked for privacy)
Need someone with GM expertise (ASE Master), performance ie 550hp regular gas, and hptuner experience for 2002 Trans Am 5.7 V8 that has a rebuilt LQ4 in it. Issue is a stubborn oil leak that has surfaced 7 mos after the build we can not get rid of. It's wet, but not enough to drip in the crease between the bellhousing and pan. Then a drop coming down from the starter. I put Blue Devil oil stop and now rear main seal stop in it over the past 3 days and also UV dye to see where it's coming from and what caused it. We used all new name brand gaskets with the rebuild. We also now just installed an air/oil separator. The car left with no leaks. The customer claimed they could tune it themselves with hptuner and he's been tuning in for 7 mos now, with it running rich the first 3 mos at least. It's been back 3 times with oil leaks and we when we removed the manifold gaskets they were clearly leaking and distorted this time. We replaced those and that took care of the majority of it. We then re-seeded the oil pan with gasket and sealant, but still have a wet spot at the location. What would cause this? and what else can we do to locate the leak. I've added uv detection, but need to drive it more. I'm at my witts end with this.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Share this conversation
Expert: Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 days ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Finding stubborn leaks is not easy though your on the right track with the oil dye. I like to use brake cleaner prior to wash it down so I have a clean slate to look at. I usually get my customers to drive a minimum of 100 miles and try to park it overnight aiming up hill then downhill and in some cases leaning to the left or right. The dye for me is 90% effective of tracing the origin down. Based on where your saying its coming from, I believe it may be the rear main which no stop leak is going to resolve. Have you checked the crank run out to see if its excessive? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer (name blocked for privacy)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I use brake cleaner also to wash down before every new attempt. And I've driven it 150 miles now. Even though I've added the dye, it's not showing up yet. I'm fearful it's the rear main also which we have replaced 2x already. 1 with the new build and then a 2nd time when we did some modifications. What would cause that?
Customer (name blocked for privacy)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He leaves and it's dry. Comes back a few months later with something new. Not always the same place.
Did you check the crank shaft run out that I mentioned prior. Are you removing the transmission and flexplate to use the UV light to search for the dye? Any proof the owner is running the engine rpms to high or the engine to hot?
Customer (name blocked for privacy)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not yet on crank shaft. At this point I'm trying to avoid dropping the trans again. It's a 550 hp engine. I know he's running it hard at times. That's what we built it for.
Customer (name blocked for privacy)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
and no on the engine running hot. I've been driving it for 4 days. steady temp, but yes I have had it at 110mph, fast acceleration etc.
Other than the things I have mentioned, the only thing I know left to check is crankcase pressure being to excessive and force oil out seals.
Customer (name blocked for privacy)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How do I check that?
Customer (name blocked for privacy)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
And what's "excessive" for that hp?
Customer (name blocked for privacy)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
and if it is...what can I do about it?Here's the link: http://www.justanswer.com/pontiac/9mxtc-pontiac-trans-firebird-need-someone-gm-expertise-ase.html?al=1&utm_source=sys&utm_medium=email&utm_content=viewanswer_bu&utm_campaign=answer_notify&r=nte%7C2016-04-08_pdcJaUsTrxAnswerNotify%7Cln=viewanswer_bu
Thanks for the update. Check for excessive crankcase (PCV pressure) and a plugged PCV system causing it to push through the seals. If that is okay then verify if the leak may be coming from the oil pressure sensor or in the flywheel/ rear main area. there was an old bulletin for an oil leak for porous metal and leaks from the cam sensor o rings.
It is definitely coming from between the oil pan an block though?
Check for blowby and run a compression test. If okay then you might need to modify the PCV system if there is excessive pressure. If the PCV is venting well then there has to be an imperfection at the leaking area to cause the leak.For FYIFYI common leaks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and we are getting ready to drop the trans to find it, but my biggest concern is making sure the root cause and that it's fixed. We built this 550hp naturally aspirated engine and the customer assured us they could tune it with hptuner. He spent 2 months trying. Very high fuel ratio before we finally figured out the 02 sensors had been swapped when he had long-tube headers on it on purpose apparently. We switched them back and then he was able to tune it, but he's always messing with it. Then he ran it hard and came back with oil leaks and we replaced EVERYTHING with the rebuild with high quality seals/gaskets. We took off the manifold the and the gaskets were totally distorted. I couldn't get 3 of them back in even, so we replaced those, which fixed a major leak and now we still have a tiny one (not enough to drop) coming from between the pan and the bellhousing. I can feel a bit of oil if I put my finger in the inspection point of the bellhousing around the flywheel. We are assuming at this point it's the rear main, so we are dropping that to replace it, but what we've seen is there is evidence of too much pressure pushing to oil out at the weakest point, so we added the fuel/air separator and some additional venting. We are now seeing between 1 and 2 psi. Does that seem normal? Also we noticed when the car is running there is a slight bit of smoke coming out of the oil tube. What is that evidence of? Thanks.
Let me see if I can find a spec for acceptable limits. As you know, mods can always have other complications when we are pushing the limits on an engine. I did find another option for extra ventilation that might help.http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/394284-relieving-crank-pressure.html
Hi, Did you get this resolved?