GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Having some trouble fitting a tko five speed into my 1966 Bonniville

Customer Question

Having some trouble fitting a tko five speed into my 1966 Bonniville . Was a four speed car 421 trip convertible. Have redone the engine with numbers at 457hp and 503 lb/ft torque and think the extra overdrive gear will be good. I'd like to keep the console with the vacuum Gage which isinglass great shape .problem is the crossmember swell as some of the quality on the parts I bought the trans new about 2 years ago when I started the project.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 6 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist did the kit come with a new crossmember??does the shifter align with the original hole in the car??? Roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No new crossmember and does not align. I notice even now that tko is owned by a different parent co. That the kits still don't come with a crossmember.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not where the car is right now and am recovering from a small surgery about a week ago but my mechanics does have the car at his home garage which is where we've been doing the project . Maybe if I can get a number he can speak with someone and give them a better description of what we need to do?
ok, the shifter is a concern but there are a variety of options with that. as far as the cross member, how far off is the mount from the crossmember?? is the length the same as the old trans??? the drivshaft may have to custom made as well. Roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think my mechanic has already mocked this and measured this up because we have a new shaft already from his measurements . I'm going to call him and tell him I've joined this forum and give him the numbers and my membership info. Once again I'm home recovering from a surgery right now and the car is at his home, so I'm probably not much help right now.
I will be here