GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Command module 2001 Bonneville not sending signal to ac compressor

Customer Question

command module 2001 Bonneville not sending signal to ac compressor
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: goodyear rcharged the system but still not working said no signal from command module
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 8 months ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist did this happen all of a sudden??does the blower motor work???do you have a voltmeter to check some voltages??? Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes it happened suddenly, blowers work , raditator fans working , had fusebox replaced when winshield wippers stopped working, windows started working again after fuse box change now left window stopped working about a month after fusebox change, then right about 2 months ago,
had a hard rain , then it was about that time ac stopped working , good was able to vacumn and recharge , then said no
power to ac compressor from command module , yes I bought a voltmeter today,steve
thanks Steve let me get a wiring diagram for you Roy
ok, take a look at the diagram. check the 2 fuses at the fuse box for voltage on both sides of the fuse, key on engine off Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
fuses #32 and #2 have power
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no voltage on 1 side or like .2 on 1 side the the left sides have 12 v
ok, do you mean there is no voltage on both sides???? there must be 12 volts on both sides or the fuses are bad Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
checked ohms on fuses , that was good, but both fuses only have 12v when I ground to the frame ,
two pronged fuse going in box 1 side of each fuse fusebox has 12v , no voltage on right sides
never check ohms with the battery connected.only volts. black lead to ground and red probes each terminal.ok, pull the ac relay in the diagram and make sure both powers are at the relay Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I didn't check ohms with battery connected , I pulled fuses out to check fuses going to pull ac relay and check, power
with fuses pulled was12v power with black lead grounded to frame red to fusebox , getting point.12 on right side , checking rela now beback in 2 min
ok, you did get 12 volts on both sides of the fuses with fuse installed?? I will be here Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
12v at relay
no???? you need 12 volts on each side of the fuse. if not replace the fuse. there should be power at 2 terminals at the relay Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ill check everthing once more
ok take your time
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
im not getting 12 volts when i test the fuse box at #26 but when I ground the lead to frame and check voltage I get 12v but when I test ground and positive at location 26 I get no voltage
the black goes to the frame and never comes off, ever for our testingput the fuse back in, test voltage at the top of the fuse and you should have 12 volts on both sides thats why I sent the phone thing so we can talk
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
does that mean broken wire??? or fusebox problem?testing at top of fuses
if you only have power on one side, the fuse is bad. replace the fuse and there should be power on both sides. put the red lead on one side and it should read 12 remove the red lead and put it on the other side and it should be 12 volts.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
will replace fuses both 15's do same thing
ok, good start
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
replaced fuses same thing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
only 12 on 1 side
on both fuses??? if so remove the relay and replace them again and see if they still blow
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
fuses are good checked ohms it is good will pull relay
no, they are not if there is not power on both sides. once again. do not use an ohmeter Roy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
will buy more fuses in morning and get back to you I can pull fuses and check them with ohm meter and it gives a zero
I don't understand why there is no ground from fuse box on negative side
fuse box is power only............... no grounds. you are having a hard time understanding what we are doing here
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
will buy fuses in morning and replace , yes im having a hard time understanding, getting dark here, thx
ok, relax, tomorrow is another day
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
put new fuses in , still same problem , power only on 1 side
please tell me again how you determined power on one side only
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no power if you put leads on both sides
put ground to frame red to left side of fuse looking at fuse from right fender
ok, you are missing the ball again. the black lead goes to a ground or the negative of the battery and NEVER MOVES..... the red touches one side for voltage check and then move it to the other side for voltage check
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did that
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
still only voltage on 1 side
no power if you put leads on both sides your words. nothing about the black lead on the negative of the battery
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put black lead on battery red lead on both sides of fuses
voltage only on 1 side
ok, thats not what you said pull the relay and replace the fuse and see if the power goes to both sides
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was testing 1 side at a time without the fuse in
there is power on both sides with relay in and fuses in
why would you test it with the fuse out??? never mindis there power at 2 of the terminals at the relay???
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes
ok, did you check and see if the relay clicked when you turned on the ac???
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no, will check now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did swap relay with horn relay and horn honked when I switched
going to check for clicking now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no clicking , we are talking about fusebox underneath hood
correct. that tells me the pcm is not grounding the control side to turn on the compressor. do you have a scan tool that can monitor ac data???
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no I dont
you need to look at the inputs from the low pressure switch and high pressure switch as they are the signals for the pcm to turn on the compressor. with all the trouble we had with just a fuse check, further checking like this will take forever. I will opt out as I dont think I can help you anymore with this as you need more experience with the next testing. I will re post and hope someone else can help you good luck