sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

And my issue is that my trunk key only turns. trunk

Customer Question

***** ***** and my issue is that my trunk key only turns. trunk doesnt open.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i put the key into the lock cylinder. the key will turn almost into a complete circle.. the lid doesn't pop open.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the lock cylinder turns indefinitely with no resistance then either the lock cylinder is broken or the linkage between it and the latch has come off. You may need to drill out the lock cylinder to try and get to the linkage, or you may be able to go in through the back seatWhat year and model is the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
97 sunfire
Is it a convertible?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no. its a 4 door sedan. 2.2 L base model.. no powered windows or door locks or trunk release.
I apologize for the delay, I've been dealing with a personal emergency.The best thing I could recommend from here is removing the rear seatback. You should be able to gain access to the trunk by removing the seat base and then the seat back, then you'll be able to crawl in and get to the trunk latch and linkage to diagnose the issue. The alternative would be to try and drill out the lock cylinder and then attempt to move the linkage by hand through the opening, but try and get in through the back seat first.