GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Pontiac Grand Prix GT: Shop said I need a new EBCM. My 2005

Customer Question

Shop said I need a new EBCM. My 2005 grand prix kicks in abs randomly when coming to stop in a parking lot situation. No light are on.
I picked up a used EBCM at the junk yard and have it on. Didn't solve the problem necessarily and now the steering is sluggish. I know that the steering stuff is tied in with the ABS somehow.
Question - will the sluggish steering correct itself or do I need to get this module reprogrammed or is it possibly the wrong module? Would it help if I also replace where all the brake lines go into the the ABS unit? I got that whole assembly at the junk yard but so far have only replaced the computer control module part.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 11 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist the random abs application comes from the sensors, most likely the fronts. dirt gets on the sensor ends and the mounting area and causes this issue especially just before coming to a stop. in most cases, removing the sensor, cleaning the mounting and hole for the sensor takes care of the issue. as far as the steering, no, there is no connection to the abs system. check your fluid levle, even change it if it has never been changed before looking for a possible pump or rack issue Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry but I am not at all happy with that response. The ABS control module and the steering issue are connected. When I put the factory module back on, the steering is fine but the ABS kicks in. I have read enough to know that the Variable Effort Steering is connected to the same module. My question is specifically related to the steering issue. I would like to end this thread and do not way to pay as the response is not related to my question.
ok, I did not realize you are more familiar with the system as I am. you obviously have more experience than me. I will opt out for you.