Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have an 01 Pontiac Bonneville. Starts fine, once running

Customer Question

I have an 01 Pontiac Bonneville. Starts fine, once running it idles at about 700rpm. Then you can see the idle drop off and then return. When this happens the oil pressure drops, the volts aslo drop then both will recover when the idle does. If I am slowing down or in a slow turn when this happens the car will stall. Today I driving home from work(about a mile) It was up to temp(just under 200) i sat in the drive and watched the above described happen several times. It seemed to get worse when I would cycle the ac on and off. I have done the following.
New converter and condenser
map sen.
plugs and wires
Cam sen.
EGR Man high dollar lol
No errors on the dash I also have a friend with a cpu that hooked up with no errors
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** oil pump and alternator both turn with the engine so if idle is going low that means both of those components will be turning too slow. The common problem to cause low idle is a dirty throttle body. When throttle body gets dirty it will cause airflow restriction during closed throttle conditions such as idle, slowing down, or starting. This will eventually cause low idle, stalling, and hard starting. The fix is to get throttle body cleaner from your local parts store, spray onto a rag, then wipe out good. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.