GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I had a check engine light diagnosed as a bad egr valve

Customer Question

I had a check engine light diagnosed as a bad egr valve which I replaced. Now it surges and has no power. And also just replaced the thermostat and water pump, but the hose going to the head seems plugged. When running it builds pressure and I can't even squeeze it. So I took the thermostat out and same thing. But the engine surge and rough idle is what concerns me.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 8 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it sounds like the overheating has or may have damaged the head gaskets. there may be coolant getting into the cylinders giving you low power as water and gas do not mix in a cylinder.

the hose being rock hard is a good indicator of compression in the cooling system. you can get a chemical kit at a parts store to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant

Roy