GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My name is ***** *****, I have a 2002 Grand Am GT1 with

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****, I have a 2002 Grand Am GT1 with 130,000 miles. the tach only goes to 4000 rpm and thne studders I also have issues with startin gthe car.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well it seems like if i rock the car until I hear a click it might start also if i put it in neutral it might start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Bandit replied 7 months ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** for using JA, can u please tell me what engine is in the vehicle 2.2 or 3.4 as soon as i get that info we can proceed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The engine is 3.4
Expert:  Bandit replied 7 months ago.

ok give me a min to look up vehicle. i need to ask does the check engine light come on

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Bandit replied 7 months ago.

as far as starting the vehicle the problem sounds to be in the park position switch located on the top of the trans, have u checked for a plugged cat converter for the power loss at 4k rpm see this all the time these cars are very common for the converters to get plugged causing these exact symptoms

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
should I get trans inspected and converter checked?
Expert:  Bandit replied 7 months ago.

u need to get the neutral safety switch inspected and also have the converter tested for failure. many tests can be done to figure this out.

Expert:  Bandit replied 7 months ago.

i suspect bad neutral safety switch and bad converter.

Expert:  Bandit replied 7 months ago.

especially since u say no check engine light but engine only goes to 4k rpm this is a very common problem with exact symptoms for a plugged converter.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks i will try it
Expert:  Bandit replied 7 months ago.

ok sounds good let me know what u come up with, if u are happy with our chat today please accept and rate so i get credit for my time, remember we have 7 days to chat after rating is received at no extra charge. have a great day. Mike