GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I just got a 2nd key cut 06 Grand Prix and programmed it

Customer Question

Hello, I just got a 2nd key cut for my 06 Grand Prix and programmed it myself. The car starts up just fine with the new key but I keep getting the " starting disabled due to theft system" message. I'm a little confused because the car starts up just fine..I just can't get that message to go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 8 months ago.

Hi there, sorry to hear about the trouble.can you send me your full vin. Did your old key work and you are just adding a replacement?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yea the old key worked fine, just needed an extra key. The vin is 2G2WP582761257537

and does the old key still work or neither key does?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Both of them work, but when I use the new key ( even though the car starts) I keep getting the " starting disabled due to theft system) message and it doesn't go away

you programed it by this procedure correct?

Adding Keys (Domestic)

Important:

• To initiate, this procedures requires that a learned master key be available.
  • A total of 10 master keys or valet keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.
  • This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
  • The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.
  • If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.
  1. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
  3. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

it sounds like your new key is not a transponder key did you have a dealer make it?