Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

My 2008 Pontiac grand prix only clicks when I try to start

Customer Question

Hi, my 2008 Pontiac grand prix only clicks when I try to start it
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Pontiac Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The last couple of times starting it was slightly delayed. I thought uh oh. then the third day, tried to start almost turned over then just clicks very fast. Im thinking the starter is gone ?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes with a little help from a mechanic friend.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaning the battery posts and checking the wires from the battery are secure. Im pretty sure its electrical not fuel also.
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: I replaced the electronic control module almost a year ago. As number 2 and 4 cylinders were not firing. I think it was that's what it was called
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

can you remove the battery and have it tested for volts and cranking amps ?

99 % of the time when you try to crank over the car and it makes clicks or rapid clicks it is as simple as a bad or weak battery as long as both battery cables are clean and tight

if the battery tests good and the battery cables are clean and tight then the starter is more than likey bad

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** back to me so quickly. I will look into that. And be in touch if I have future questions.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

sure thing

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

how are you making out ?