Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2002 pontiac montana was overheating so we changed the

Customer Question

2002 pontiac montana was overheating so we changed the thermostat. Now it starts and immediately dies.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** security light on/flashing or does everything seem normal? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the security light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the little red dot on the dash?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if security light was acting up you should notice. Is it? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean is it flashing when the car is off or for the 1-2 seconds the car is on?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

When turning key in on position if there is a problem light should stay on solid or continue to flash. Is light acting any different then before when there was no problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the car is off it's blinking, when the key is in the on position the light is off.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did it do this before changing thermostat too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, prior to changing the thermostat the engine would overheat after driving it for about 5 minutes (faster when going up hills) and would smoke but car was "running" fine.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm talking about the light. Is the light acting the same as before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honestly the anti-theft was disabled by our mechanic before and wasn't a factor. Can't remember what the light did before.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the mass airflow sensor and let me know if that helps. THanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you shoot me a link or a picture of where that is and what that looks like?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is on the intake tube that goes between filter housing and engine, right after filter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so take off the entire intake tube then right? all three clamps with screws (the whole accordion part)?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No, just unplug the electrical connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the clamp on the top
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as clamps...When you say clamps I'm thinking of the clamps that hold the air tube in place and that isn't what you want to remove. You want to unplug the electrical connector from the sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my bad I meant clasp not clamp, it's a yellow thing that snaps into place on top of the intake tube. Take just that part off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's like a clip
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I don't recall any yellow part, we just need to unplug the electrical connector on sensor. Here are instructions from manual.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a10o67vijgdjufz/af.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I gotcha. Give me a few minutes to go try that and see.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took off the intake hose since it didn't look right (unrelated to what you suggested) and couldn't get it back on. Will post back later when that's on and just the sensor on the top is gone.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I didn't want you to remove the sensor, I just wanted you to unplug the electrical connector. Let me know how it goes, thanks.