Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 98 grand am 2.4 starts but dies immediately, I 't think

Customer Question

My 98 grand am 2.4 starts but dies immediately, I don't think its a passlock security problem because the theft system light isn't flashing
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Have you checked for codes in the computer? Will the engine remain running if you spray starting fluid into the intake?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There are no codes and using sure start doesn't make any difference except it knocks like hell
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Ok so the engine loses spark when this happens?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im not sure, How can I tell?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not want to pay the additional amount, can we please just continue the way?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

YES, we can continue here. The engine only needs three things to keep running. Spark, fuel and compression.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

compression is not going to come and go enough to cause this issue. So that only leaves spark or fuel.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

And if the problem is not fuel.. that only leaves spark.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what would cause no spark after start up?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Crank sensor, ignition switch, PCM or wiring.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, please just do it online
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Did you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
held the key in the start position to see if it would stay running and it didnt
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK what, you haven't helped me at all
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

I have been answering your questions. Maybe your asking the wrong questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Let me ask you this.. what type of scanner or code reader did you use to check for codes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there any way to test these things without proper equipment?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a code scanner
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Now that is a good question. It is important to use the right tool for the job especially when diagnosing this sort of thing. Do you have a test light? What other diagnostic equitment do you have?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But I had to take the battery out to charge it, so no codes
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

What other modules on board the vehicle did you check for codes other than the PCM?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
None, I have a multi meter, well that help?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

It may help depending on what we need to check/test. Are you able to upload a video of this issue and post it on youtube and then send me the link so I can see what is going on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, Im unable to do that
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Ok well I dont think I am going to be able to help you with the limited information that I am getting from you. I will leave this open for other experts. Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How can I test the crank position sensor?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Different expert here.

I want to back up a bit to beginning - you stated that the security light is not flashing.

When you turn the key to the on position, does it come on and go out withing about 10-15 seconds, or does it stay on as long you have the key to the on position

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It stays on
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, it is indeed a passlock issue. The light should go off within 10-15 seconds. Ok, we need to do the 30 minute relearn procedure. If your battery is not strong, you need to put a charger on it during the procedure.

30minute GM relearn procedure:

1-TurnON the ignition,with the engine OFF.

2-Attemptto start the engine,then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .

5-Repeat steps 1through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes(the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM)Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6-Start the engine(the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The security light, do you mean the theft sys light?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Yes, the security/antitheft light. one in the same

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, I'll try that and let you know
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

ok, sounds good. Unless there is an internal fault in the theft module, this will resolve the issue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Eric, I did what you said, no luck. I think the car is just shot, I'm calling a wrecking yard
Please don't bill me
Thank you very much
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, there is a problem with the security control module. I dont have anything to do with billing so I dont know when you are billed. If you believe you have been, let me know and I can have customer service contact you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You know happened Eric, after 10 mins even after 20 mins, the theft sys light never went off. I repeated the process a couple more times and the same thing, the light never went off
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, it is a hard fault in the security module or outside chance of a bad key. Do you have a spare key to try

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can we keep this line on for awhile, i my still be interested in continuing this conversation?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

No problem. To keep this open, just dont respond to this post. This will keep it open indefinitely until you respond back or close it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. I don't have a spare key
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, choices are at this point, get a spare key made and do the relearn procedure with it. If no go, then it is the security module, have it towed to dealer and let them scan it with a factory level scan tool to determine if it is the key or the security module.