GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Trying to figure out if my 03 vibe gt is worth keeping at

Customer Question

trying to figure out if my 03 vibe gt is worth keeping at 169,000 miles. Can't keep the brakes working as they are always locking up. Have replaced every caliper at least twice, pistons keep getting stuck as well as the slide bolts. Locking brakes heat up the bearings, causing those to cook and requiring replacement. Would like to keep the car a few years longer, but have spent over $15,000 since new trying to keep it road worthy.
JA: Oh No! Brake problems are the worst. The Pontiac Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have relied on my local mechanic, but am able to do the work myself.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: no, everything else works very well.
JA: Our top Pontiac Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Pontiac Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Pontiac Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

Are all the brakes locking up at the same time, or different ones at different times?

Does it have ABS braking

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Different times. It does have ABS.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

Ok, have you replaced the flexible brake hoses as well each time it has happened?

When they lock up, what did you do to get the unlocked to be able to drive it home, or did you have it towed when they locked up?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Some of the hoses have been replaced, but not all of them and not every time. I have always been able to drive it, so the caliper pins and/or pistons have simply caused the pads to drag on the rotors. They end up heating up and warping in addition to cooking the bearings.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

Ok, when the calipers are replaced, are BOTH the pins and the caliper brackets replaced as well