Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2005 Pontic Vibe that deveolped a very loud knock

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Pontic Vibe that deveolped a very loud knock after a road trip. I took it to my mechanic, he said it needs a new engine and it would cost around $3000.00. Just wondering if there is another less expensive
option.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** engine is shot "which sounds to be the case" there isn't too much you can do other then search around for best price on a used engine and best price to install engine. It is about a 15 hour job to replace the engine so you will want to find a shop that charges the lowest amount per hour. You can also look on www.car-parts.com and ebay for a used engine. If you call around I think you can probably save $600-$1000 but that is about the best you will be able to do under the circumstances. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.