Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I have a Pontiac Grand Prix 1993, which used to be my

Customer Question

I have a Pontiac Grand Prix 1993, which used to be my grandpas. and i have driven it for almost 3 years. After that i got a lease Toyota and its been on the parking lot. The registration is incomplete, it did not pass the smog check which was my aim to get on car retirement plan and get money. Which failed because they did not accept arguing the car registration has failed
Anyway to cut it short, My lease is going to end soon, and i dont know what to do, shall i fix the old car, and drive it, it just needs a tire change and a new battery, not sure if it will be okay to drive from home to work place. which is about 12 miles each day. That is during those years i have changed most of the parts and always had a nice mechanic nearby. The car is in good shape, but i can also do a tax deduction giving it to charity i might get a check for 500 dollars or less.
I really need a good answer, shall i sell the car, and try to look for a short term lease option, or shall I keep the car, repair it, or maybe fix and sell it on craigslist, donating the car is it a good option or not? please give me your best answer, i need to know what route to take.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It all depends on if you can afford another lease and if you want to get rid of the vehicle.If the Pontiac has low miles and is in great shape if it were me I would change out the oil,fuel filter,air up the tires,check the coolant and other fluid levels and check for any leaks and repair any small issues found.If any major issues are found then you would want to determine if you want to sell the vehicle or repair it from there but if they are minor issues then myself I would repair it to drive the vehicle to save on paying for a lease model.

If you do get rid of it I would think you could get more then $500 on craigslist if it is in good condition.You might even get $1000 which is more then what charity can offer on a tax break but if a tax break is more important then I would go with the tax break myself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The problem i am facing now is the registeration, do i have to pay a penalty, as the registration is incomplete. how to drive to a mechanic shop or a smog check shop to fix the issue?

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

You will have a penalty but usually from what I have seen is less then $50.Once it is registered then you can take it to a repair facility to have it diagnosed and repaired then they can smog it there and you can then have it smoged to pass for where you live.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete