Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Pete, just bought a new battery & alternator.... Sunday

Customer Question

Hi Pete, just bought a new battery & alternator.... Sunday afternoon. I let it run for at least 45 min. No problem... Monday morning, test the car again, 25 mins. later a message pop out "Battery Saver Active" then "Charging System Failure"???? What could be the problem of this solution????
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

What brand of alternator are you using for the replacement? Remanufactured or new?

We see a lot of out of box failures on alternators for these cars. They typically will charge for about 15-20 minutes and then the output drops too low to keep the charging system out of failure mode.

The autozone (Duralast)and oreilly (ultima) house brands tend to fail most often.

Can you test the output of the alternator?

You will need a multimeter.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well, the alternator is new, got it from autozone.... as for the new battery. I went to get it charge at autozone for more than an hour,turns out to be bad
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

So the new battery turned out to be bad?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sir.... I lost the receipt so now have to get a new one 😅 before I do that,could there be any other problem besides the bad battery?
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

It's hard to say. I see a lot of out of box failures on those Autozone alternators. If the light doesn't go out with a new battery I would definitely look at the posibility of the new alternator being bad.

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

I just wanted to check and see whether you needed any additional help on this one.

Please don't forget to rate if I have been of some assistance.