karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master technician, L1 certified, iatn sponser, tech net training , automotive training group
17741603

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. It is in good shape. I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. It is in good shape. I noticed a whining noise today when I press the gas. The gears are changing. What could it be and which transmission fluid do I buy?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a manual or automatic transmission, are there any warning lights on ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a manual. No warning lights. My car has always been taken care of.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, read the question wrong. I have auto transmission. Sorry, am babysitting.

Dexronn III is the automatic transmission fluid type your vehicle needs. It is difficult to check on your own without being able to lift the car. There is a red fill cap below the air intake tube on the transmission to add fluid. Checking the level is the difficult part as it does not have a fluid dipstick. You need to warm up the transmission fluid and with the engine running remove the fluid check plug on the right side of the transmission until it just drips out.

There are other possibilities contributing to the noise . I would recommend you have all the belt driven components checked for bearing noise. As they spin with the engine drive belt if the bearings are failing they will create a whining type noise that will increase with engine speed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it safe to drive until I get it checked out?

It is difficult to say for sure, pay close attention to the noise to see if it is increasing. If it is I would recommend inspection as soon as possible .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thanks for your help.

It could also be power steering pump issue , if the noise changes when you turn the steering. You could inspect the power steering fluid level.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have noticed a noise when I turn my steering wheel.

Low power steering fluid can cause the power steering pump to make a whine noise. There are several universal power steering fluids available at parts stores. Just make sure it is GM compatible.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** been very helpful.

My pleasure, let me know if you need any further advise once you have some inspections done. Have a great day!

Would you mind taking the time to rate our conversation, or if you have any other questions.