Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I just installed a gh output alternator on a 99 sunfire now

Customer Question

I just installed a high output alternator on a 99 sunfire now my battery light stays on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can't figure it out when the car is running the battery light stays on when I was at auto zone they checked and said the alternator was working but the light meant something wasn't right
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

On this model the PCM (engine and transmission computer) control and monitor the alternator.If there is a signal issue to the PCM due to the higher ouput alternator or an over charge issue this will occur here.I have seen this before on models with PCM controlled alternators and had to reinstall the factory amperage alternator to correct this unfortunately.

The other option is to check with an auto accessory facility to see if they have any after market programming to correct this here that they can put in your vehicles PCM.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete