Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

How to deactivate a engine immobilizer on a 2009 Pontiac g8

Customer Question

How to deactivate a engine immobilizer on a 2009 Pontiac g8 gt
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Is the security light flashing with key ON? or are you getting a security message? There is no way to bypass it actually. It's wired into the ECM. so it kills fuel injector pulse. it's fairly sophisticated system to keep a thief from stealing the car. Are you sure it's the immobilizer as to the reason it won't start? have you checked for codes by chance? Let us know, Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just change the the keyboard shell. Still have same key and everything just different shell
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just change the shell for my key flog that's it. I still have same key same battery
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

I follow you, is the security light blinking? with the key on? or have you checked codes by chance? Do you have just 1 key for this vehicle or is there a spare key somewhere you can try as well?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just have on key
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can put the original key back in and turn the ignition but it will not start it comes up immobilized
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

I follow you, I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this one, but, if it's an immobilizer problem, You will have to check the codes first, and depending on what code is stored, you will need to fault trace the system to properly diagnose it. It's likely either the transceiver, or the key itself. I really wish you had another spare key to try, but since you don't, we can't rule out the key transponder itself as being the culprit. You can try this, in case the TDM (Theft deterrent module) has lost key memory, maybe trying this programming procedure might work. First thing to do, unhook the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes, then reinstall the cable, close all doors and hood and trunk, put the key in the door and lock and unlock the drivers door a few times, see if that helps, that should reset the alarm system if that is the culprit. If that doesn't help, try these instructions.

Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

If none of those suggestions help, Then I would suggest contacting a mobile locksmith in your area. Tell him what make model vehicle you have, and likely they can send someone out to either replace the transceiver, or program you another key. Most of them have invested in the equipment necessary to perform these operations on newer vehicles. And they will be much less than a dealer. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.