Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech

2008 g6 gt 3.5. Engine will be hard to,start and backfires

Customer Question

2008 g6 gt 3.5. Engine will be hard to,start and backfires through intake. Codes are bank 1 and 2 running lean. Had it to dealer for the tps recall. They said that's not the issue.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Trying to start car it pops & backfires through intake. Only trouble codes are bank 1 and 2 are running lean.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you tell me what the actual codes are that you are getting?

Dose the engine run okay once its running?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
P0171 and P0174 engine running lean on bank 1 and bank 2Engine will pop and backfire through intake then after a few minutes will run ok until you try and start it again
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Providing you fuel pressure is okay and you are sure there are no vacuum leaks I would try disconnecting the negative battery cable and after doing so, give the MAF (mass air flow sensor) a good cleaning with some MAF cleaner and see if this resolves the back firing concern. Give this a try and let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.