GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

Sometimes my car will not start unless i push on the gas

Customer Question

sometimes my car will not start unless i push on the gas while turning the key
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: ok when I go to start my car it will just stall out if i dont rev the gas pedal
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: not myself, take it somewhere just wanted to know if someonr give me any idea of what it could be
JA: Is there anything else the Pontiac Mechanic should be aware of about your Pontiac?
Customer: nope
JA: Our top Pontiac Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Pontiac Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Pontiac Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Bob replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.

What year make and model?

What size engine

Please get back with me

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is a grand prix, 2005 pontiac.
5.3 L V8 engine
Expert:  GM Bob replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Need to check the fuel pressure 55-62 psi. This should not drop more than 5 psi after 5 min with key turned off.

If it drops it could be a leaky injector?

Also I have had throttle body that needed to be cleaned.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have more info.

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how can i do that? i dont know much about cars
Expert:  GM Bob replied 8 months ago.

Throttle Body Cleaning

1. Remove the air cleaner intake duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Resonator Outlet Duct Replacement.

Caution: Turn OFF the ignition before inserting fingers into the throttle bore. Unexpected movement of the throttle blade could cause personal injury.

Notice: Do not insert any tools into the throttle body bore in order to avoid damage to the throttle valve plate.

2. Inspect the throttle body bore and the throttle plate for deposits. You will need to open the throttle plate in order to inspect all surfaces.

Notice: Do not use any solvent that contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). This solvent may damage fuel system components.

3. Clean the throttle body bore and the throttle plate using a clean shop towel with GM Top Engine Cleaner, P/N 1052626 or AC-Delco Carburetor Tune-Up Conditioner, P/N X66–P, or an equivalent product.
  4. Install the air cleaner intake duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Resonator Outlet Duct Replacement
Expert:  GM Bob replied 8 months ago.

As for the fuel pressure you need a fuel pressure gauge.

Expert:  GM Bob replied 8 months ago.

Was this helpful or do you need more help?

Please let me know