Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

The engine trouble light comes on, it state the gas cap.

Customer Question

The
engine trouble light comes on, it state the gas cap. Tighten the cap and the light went out, but it came back on and stayed on. I purchased a new one at the Chev Dealer, he stated it was the right cap. However it did not have the thin wire on both sides, and the trouble light light remained on. Any help on the trouble light.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

When the service engine soon or check engine light comes on. This means the computer has found an issue that is effecting emissions. There could be one or more of about 500 possible codes stored. There could be one or more of around a thousand different things wrong. A EVAP system leak from an improper sealing fuel cap is just one of the possibilities. If the cap were leaking, it would take about 2 weeks for the code to auto extinguish, it would not go away immediate for this repair attempt. The first thing we need to do is get it scanned to see which codes are stored, a parts store can do that for free. With the codes I can tell you how to diagnose and repair this.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris